9/11/10

Captain Beefheart at The Magic Room

A great show last night at The Magic Room in Brighton. Gary Lucas, guitarist extraordinaire, gave a "symposium" on the amazing Captain Beefheart. As guitarist with Beefheart's last--and great--incarnation of the Magic Band, Lucas had his subject down cold. And he brought along an amazing array of rare concert footage, unreleased tracks, unpublished poetry, Beefheart artworks (Beef-Art?) and more. Perhaps best of all, he performed some of the pieces he used to play while in the band. One of the films even featured him doing Flavor Bud Living, which was so often on my turntable during college that I think I wore the grooves off the record completely. Pure genius and, if this were a just world, it would be on every radio in every home at least once a week from now till the end of time. Hell, it should be on alarm clocks around the land, waking us each day to the flavorful living budding on our tasty buds each morning. No, wait, even better, it should be imprinted in our brains like those microchips in Philip K. Dick (not in him, actually, his work. Though I wouldn't be surprised if PKD actually had a chip of his own a bit north of his shoulder. And I doubt he would have been either.) In any case, a great show that proved how great both Lucas and Beefheart were and are. If Lucas ever comes to your town, be sure to go see him. His own career has been an amazing achievement, and I can't recommend his work enough. Ok? Nuff said.

2 Comments:

Blogger Samantha said...

No! Never enough said! :) I do remember you speaking about this Beefheart person at length back in the day.

It was a nice surprise to see your comment this morning. Haven't seen you around the FB town square in a while. Hope all is well!

September 13, 2010 at 11:04 AM  
Blogger G-D said...

Funny that you remember that. I guess I've been talking about Beefheart in one form or another for most of my life. If I could be a missionary for the cause, I would. Same goes for Lucas.

Re: my absence from FB and the blog, travel this summer took me away from the former and computer issues from the latter. Don't know if you noticed, but the blog now has a new address: http://jewpunk.blogspot.com/

More soon!

September 15, 2010 at 12:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home